1. Be Consistent
The difference between success and failure in weight loss is consistence. Keeping up your work out routine will be the defining factor in your overall fitness goals. The #1 work out tip is committing to your fitness goals and executing.
2. Follow an Effective Exercise Routine
The American Council on Exercise (ACE) recently surveyed 1,000 ACE-certified personal trainers about the best techniques to get fit and these are their top three suggestions:
- Strength training. Just 20 minutes a day twice a week can tone the entire body
- Interval training. May simply involve walking for two minutes, running for two, and alternating this pattern throughout the duration of a workout suggests Cedric Bryant, PhD, FACSM, chief science officer for ACE.
- Increased cardio/aerobic exercise. Bryant suggests accumulating 60 minutes or more a day of low- to moderate-intensity physical activity, such as walking, running, or dancing.
3. Set Realistic Goals
Don’t plan to lose an excess amount of weight in an unreasonable amount of time, especially if you’re just breaking into a new work out. You’re weight fluctuates during habitual work outs due to water weight and etc. By setting unrealistic fitness goals you may actually discourage yourself if you don’t reach them and lose momentum.
4. Use the Buddy System
Grab a friend or relative that has similar fitness goals as you and exercise together. Since you have similar goals you can motivate and encourage each other and neither one of you will let the other slack off.
5. Make Your Plan Fit Your Life
Too busy to get to the gym? Work out at home! Don’t forget about the wide open out doors either. Try simple floor exercises to target areas such as the hips and buttocks, legs and thighs, and chest and arms (like push-ups, squats, and lunges). Aim for 10-12 repetitions of each exercise, adding more reps and intensity as you build strength.
6. Watch the Clock
Working out when you have the most energy will give you the best results. So if you’re not much of a morning person don’t force yourself to get up and slug through the work out.
7. Be Patient
Be patient, and don’t give up! Being consistent is the first step, but even when you don’t get the results you hoped for don’t throw in the towel, just keep at it.