Talking Pretty got the opportunity to sit down with R&B singer Kaleem Taylor. The interview is great and really gives a glimpse into his personality, fashion sense, and he also gave the deets on where he plans to take his career. Check it below!
Describe your image, and the type of music you make.
My image represents me and the type of music i make is Soul/R&B
– What story does your music tell?
(My music tells a personal story based on past experiences and has a lot to do with previous relationships.)
– Who has inspired you as you develop lyrically and vocally?
(There’s a number of artists that I’ve been listening to and have definitely had an influence on my recent sound, from the likes of Jazmine Sullivan to Frank Ocean.)
– What led you to getting on tour with Ryan Leslie? Are there any similarities in both of your musical styles?
(I’m not sure how it came about but I won’t complain. I’d say there are similarities in regards to the vibe and a lot of the messages but there’s a uniqueness in terms of vocals.)
– Being from the UK, and making a name in the US, do you find a difference in music appreciation in the UK/US?
(With the music I’m making and the road I’d like to be going down the US is definitely show more awareness towards it, but in the UK music is definitely appreciated.)
– How important is social media in your promotional campaign?
(I think its fundamental, a lot of things are acknowledged through social media sites and the amounts of people who can be reached is amazing so its definitely important.)
– How do you feel about/deal with negative comments via social media?
(I feel that all comments are relevant, I’m aware that not everyone is going to like what you’re doing just as much as I don’t like some of what happens in the world everyday but everybody is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that.)
– Female artists you love listening to?
(Anita Baker, Lauryn Hill, Lalah Hathaway, Amy Winehouse, Jazmine Sullivan…the list goes on.)
– Favorite hair and beauty trends for women of color?
(I don’t know about names and all that in terms of hair styles but nothing too long and in terms of beauty, as natural as can be.)
– Worst fashion trends for women? Fake tan lol
– 2013 goals/resolutions?
(Keep progressing, making better music and spreading the word so more people can hear what I have to say.)
– What are you/will you be doing to help impact your community through music?
(I’m on the journey myself so I can’t say what I am doing right now but in future I’d like to show others how much talent there is over here.)
– Advice for artists looking to jump into the international music market?
(Well so far being myself has worked, so I’d say be an individual and follow your heart not the crowd.)
– Any further remarks, announcements?
(Thank you for giving me an opportunity to show my music, I massively appreciate all the support and if anybody is interested I have a new EP called ‘Alone’ which is out now on Itunes and most online music stores.